At Salford we want to be an anti-racist University. We believe that racism is under reported and we want to change this. If you have witnessed  racism or been a victim of racism (including micro aggressions)  it is important that you report it here. We will take it seriously and we will provide you with support.  
You may be concerned about the consequences of making a complaint in case it affects your relationship with the person concerned, or you may be worried that you might suffer victimisation for having brought the complaint. If you are concerned about this, please make this known when you make your complaint. University staff will then be able to work with you to decide how best to address your concerns.
 Remember all forms of racism are #NeverOK

Emergency support

Think about whether you are safe. 

If you or others are seriously hurt or in immediate physical danger you can call the police or ambulance on 999.  This includes if you think you, or someone else, may be about to attempt suicide. 

If you are on a University campus, after calling 999 you may wish to contact the University Security Service (emergencies: 0161 295 3333) for additional support and to help the emergency services reach you quickly.

General support

  • Citizen’s Advice Bureau CAB provide free advice on a number in a number of areas from debt to harassment. You can find a local office here
  • Victim Support When you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask you if you would like help from an organisation like Victim Support. But anyone affected by crime can contact them directly – you don’t need to talk to the police to get Victim Support help 

Domestic abuse 

  • The Domestic Violence Guide produced by Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust offers useful information. 
  • The 24-hour National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline run jointly by Women's Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. Translation facilities for callers whose first language is not English and a service for callers who are deaf or hard of hearing are available.  
  •  Men's Advice Line is a confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic violence from a partner or ex-partner (or from other family members). Monday - Friday 9am-5pm. Alternatively you can email them.
  •  Greater Manchester Domestic Abuse Helpline assists women in domestic abuse situations, friends or family who would like to support someone or agencies who may wish to gain accurate advice to give to women and their dependents regarding domestic abuse. They can be contacted Monday to Friday 10am-4pm with an extended opening time on Tuesday to 7pm.
  •  Trafford Domestic Abuse Service is a registered charity offering support to individuals and families who are affected by domestic abuse. They support both female and male victims of domestic abuse who live or work in the Trafford area. They can be contacted Monday to Friday 10am-4pm.
  •  Salford Women’s Aid Women’s Aid is a national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children ( (exempt under Section 7 (2) (e) of the Sex Discrimination Act) . The Salford branch has an in-house solicitor and can offer help with housing, benefits, social services, child protection and signposting. They can be contacted Monday to Friday 10am-4pm.
  •  Respect offer information and advice to help domestic violence perpetrators stop their violence and change their abusive behaviours. The main focus of the Respect Phoneline is to increase the safety of those experiencing domestic violence by engaging with the abusers to reduce the risk. They can be contacted Monday to Friday 9am- 5pm. Alternatively you can email them.
  •  End the Fear are a Manchester based service offering advice to those who wish to escape domestic abuse as well as to those who know of someone who is being abused. 
  •  National LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline provides advice and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people.

‘Honour’-based abuse and forced marriage

  • Forced Marriage Unit offer support if you’re trying  to stop a forced marriage or if you need help leaving a marriage you've been forced into. Trained professionals are available to give free and confidential advice on what to do next. Visit the website for more information or call 02070080151 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. 
  •  Karma Nirvana support all victims of honour based abuse and forced marriage. Their helpline can be contacted on 0800 5999 247.


Survivors of childhood abuse

  • The Abuse Guide produced by Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust offers useful information.
  • NAPAC is a national charity that exists to support survivors of child abuse when they want to talk and receive support.  
  • The Survivors Trust (TST) is a national umbrella agency for specialist rape, sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse support organisations throughout the UK and Ireland.