If someone tells you that they have experienced racism, taking the time to listen to them can make all the difference.  You don’t have to know exactly the right thing to say or what to do – just listen.  Try to keep your own reactions more muted and allow space for their feelings, without judgement.  
If it really isn’t the right time, arrange a different time and a suitable place to hear them out.  If for some reason you are not able to listen, explain this and offer to help support them in finding support elsewhere.  
You don’t need to try to solve the problem - support them while they manage their feelings, explore their options and decide what to do.  
It is really important to accept their choices even if it is not what you think you might do in their situation.  
If you are worried about them, don’t ignore your feelings – get some support yourself to find out what to do next. 

Can I report racism that I witnessed? 
Yes. Racism does not have to happen to you for you to report it. This is called Third Party Reporting and it is important that you do report it, either via the police or through Report and Support. If you are going to name the victim in your report, it is always good to get their permission to do so. Don’t assume as they may not want you to give us their name. You can report anonymously. 

Report It 
You can use Report and Support  to let the University, know and access support.  You can also ask us to report it to the police on your behalf.   

You can also: Report the behaviour to the police 
Racism is illegal when it is overt.  It is a hate crime/ incident.  Even apparently minor actions if they are unwanted, and repeated, can be the subject of legal action.  You can contact the police by:  
  • dialling 999 in an emergency  
  • dialling 101 if it is not an emergency  
  • going to your nearest police station – find out where it is and when it’s open here. You may want to ask a friend or relative to go with you