Hate incidents and hate crimes are acts of violence or hostility directed at people because of who they are (or who someone thinks they are). 

Hate Incidents will tend to be more minor occurrences such as offensive jokes, spitting at someone, hoax calls, throwing rubbish into your garden, graffiti or vandalism of belongings or abuse or threats online.  Just because these actions are small does not mean they can’t have a serious impact. 

If the behaviour taking place is also potentially a criminal offence, then it would be a Hate Crime.  This would most typically be actions such as assaults, criminal damage, harassment, sexual assault, theft, fraud, hate mail or harassment. 

Some types of behaviour may be a Hate Incident or a Crime, and you don’t need to decide which it is – that can be sorted out later.  The main thing to know is that behaviour falls into this category (Hate Incident/Crime) if it is hostile or violent behaviour aimed at you because you have a particular characteristic, or because someone believes that you do.  These will usually be one of the protected characteristics, however if you are targeted due to belonging to a subculture (such as being a Goth) this could also count. 

The particular 'Protected Characteristics' under the 2010 Equality Acts are:
  1. based on your/ their gender.
  2. based on you/ their  gender identity (called gender reassignment in the Equality Act).
  3. based on your/ their race, nationality or ethnicity. 
  4. based on a disability they or you may have.
  5. based on your/their sexual orientation.
  6. based on your/ their age.
  7. based on your/ their faith, or lack of faith.
  8. based on your marital/ civil partnership status.
  9. based on pregnancy/ maternity
The characteristics highlighted in bold can be included in hate crime/ incident reporting
(all of these can be based on a perceived characteristics , so the person does not necessarily need to have the characteristic) 

Hate Incidents and crimes often go unreported, which means that it is hard for organisations or agencies such as the police to tackle them, including by building up a picture of where problems are occurring.  This is why it is encouraged to report even apparently minor issues.

Emergency help

Think about whether you are safe. 

If you or others are seriously hurt or in immediate physical danger you can call the police or ambulance on 999.  This includes if you think you, or someone else, may be about to attempt suicide. 

If you are on a University campus, after calling 999 you may wish to contact the University Security Service (emergencies: 0161 295 3333) for additional support and to help the emergency services reach you quickly. 

Talk to someone

Get support from a friend or family member. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help the immediate situation and help you think through what, if anything, you want to do.  If you aren’t ready to talk yet, writing things down can also help. 

Consider talking to a staff member in your accommodation, or a member of academic or professional staff in your School.  They might not be able to fix the problem immediately, but they can listen and might be able to help. 

Talk to the askUS Enquiries team about your options. 

Think about whether (depending on the circumstances) you could talk to the person who is doing it.  It is possible that they haven’t really thought about the impact this is having on you or faced up to the fact that what they are doing is inappropriate. Just having this conversation can feel really hard, and it’s OK to be nervous – you could put it in writing or talk through with someone what you might say. To keep things neutral try “I don’t know if you realise, but when you [do this behaviour] I feel [how you feel about it] and I’d like you to stop doing it” 

Listen to someone

If someone tells you that they have experienced a hate incident or crime, taking the time to listen to them can make all the difference.  You don’t have to know exactly the right thing to say or what to do – just listen.  Try to keep your own reactions more muted and allow space for their feelings, without judgement. 

If it really isn’t the right time, arrange a different time and a suitable place to hear them out.  If for some reason you are not able to listen, explain this and offer to help support them in finding support elsewhere. 

You don’t need to try to solve the problem.- support them while they manage their feelings, explore their options and decide what to do.  

It is really important to accept their choices even if it is not what you think you might do in their situation. 

If you are worried about them, don’t ignore your feelings – get some support yourself to find out what to do next. 

Find support

The University’s Counselling & Wellbeing Service provides a listening ear and can also support you if you want to know what next steps might be available for you. Their services are completely confidential. This client confidentiality will only be broken if the counsellors think there is a risk to you or someone else, or if there is a legal duty.  How to contact Counselling & Wellbeing

You can also access advice and guidance from your G.P. surgery (you may be registered with the University Medical Centre or otherwise you can look up your G.P.’s information here if you can’t remember).  

Salford University Students’ Union Student Advice Centre also provide independent advice and support on a range of issues. 

You may prefer to speak to someone outside of the University instead of, or as well as, our services. 

·       Greater Manchester Victims’ Services website provides useful information and practical advice for victims and survivors of crime, and their families. You can use it to find help, regardless of when the crime happened, or whether or not you reported it to the police. 

·       Manchester LGBT Foundation has a number of groups covering a wide section of the LGBT community which meet at the Community Resource Centre on Richmond Street in Manchester. They provide a safe and comfortable environment for people who may feel isolated, are coming out, or are new to the area. 

·       Disability Equality NW runs the Developing from the Negatives Project (DFN) which aims to raise awareness of Disability Hate Crime and encourage reporting. 

·       Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents.

.         Europia supports victims of hate crime in Salford from Eastern Europe, including support for reporting to police, therapy for victims and workshops on how to deal with hate crime. 

·       Community Security Trust (CS) helps those who are victims of anti-Semitic hatred, harassment or bias. 

·       Neighbourhood Policing Teams. The GMP website provides a list of Neighbourhood Policing Teams by each area of Manchester, who you can contact to gather details of your Neighbourhood Policing Team; how to arrange a visit from your Neighbourhood Policing Team and local support agencies. 

·       Victim Support. When you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask you if you would like help from an organisation like Victim Support. But anyone affected by crime can contact them directly – you don’t need to talk to the police to get Victim Support help 

 Report it

We encourage you to tell someone about what’s happening, so that there is a better chance to support you and prevent things like this happening in future.  You have a range of options to report: 

You can use this form to let the University know and access support.  In the case of a Hate Incident or Hate Crime, you can also ask us to report it to the police on your behalf.  You can report anonymously if you choose to, although this will limit the actions we can take, it’s still helpful to have the information. 

You can also: 

Report the behaviour to the police. Harassment, stalking, and criminal behaviour targeted at you because of a protected characteristic are all illegal.  Even apparently minor actions if they are unwanted, and repeated, can be the subject of legal action.  You can contact the police by: 

·       dialling 999 in an emergency 
·       dialling 101 if it is not an emergency 
·       going to your nearest police station – find out where it is and when it’s open here. You may want to ask a friend or relative to go with you 
·       contacting one of the University’s police liaison officers via askUS: Enquiries or University Security 






There are two ways you can report something